Considering a career in business consultancy but still not 100% clear on what a business consultant does? Put simply, a business consultant – sometimes known as a management consultant – is a professional whose job it is to provide expertise and advice to improve an area of a business. Overall, the aim of a business consultant is to utilise their specialist knowledge to increase a company’s profits, add value in a particular area of a business and/or resolve any issues that are directly impeding the effectiveness of a business’ operations.
Though some business consultant jobs will be more generalist, helping to oversee the building of a company-wide strategy, careers in business consultancy can also be specifically tailored to helping certain business areas achieve their aims, such as sales, finance, marketing, management etc. A business consultant can work internally, providing services to departments and individuals within their own organisation. Or, as is more often the case, a business consultant will work externally as part of an agency or consultancy firm. These client-based jobs in business consultancy involves providing expertise on a temporary, fee basis. Usually, business consultants of this ilk work with multiple clients on a simultaneous basis.
In terms of the day-to-day, business consultant positions tend to involve (but are not limited to) the following:
- Researching and integrating directly into client businesses, working closely with their senior management professionals to understand the inner workings of the business
- Acquiring and maintaining deep product knowledge and skills
- Analysing data and statistics to build insight reports
- Drive data-focused decision making
- Preparing and presenting strategy proposals
- Originating and supporting new business initiatives
- Proposing and leading the implementation of solutions to problem areas of the business
- Liaising with clients, responding to requests, and supporting the mitigation of any concerns
In short, the role of a business consultant is to use their expertise to help a business to succeed. As such, a business consultant career can be very rewarding. If careers in consulting sound like something you could be interested in, why not take a closer look at the business consultant opportunities currently available on our website – our application process is super simple.